Stockstadt developed as a medieval town north of the Roman
settlement. "Stocestat" is documented as early as the 9th century.
The custom house was built from 1514-1545, a reminder of the
strategically important harbour location. From 2007-2008 the St.
Anna Chapel - which was built in 1458 and torn down in 1925 - was
The paper factory (1900) plays a large role in the community and is a big employer. Today it belongs to the South African Sappi Group.
The market town has a silver helmet in its coat of arms, a reminder of the community's Roman history
Region: Obergermanischer Limes
In terms of area, antique Stockstadt was one of the largest Roman settlements at the Main. The fort's grounds are now completely covered by the paper company Sappi Stockstadt GmbH. The vicus stretched to the Main shore, where a harbour was located. The numerous antique shrines in the vicus are an indication of the importance Stockstadt had at the Main Limes. It's location allowed Stockstadt to function as a major reloading station for goods.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung