MAIN LIMES MUSEUMS

World HeritageLimes MuseumsLimes TownsTopicsMapsMediaNewsContact

Obernburg am Main

Obernburg was elevated to the status of city in 1317 by the Archbishop of Mainz. The well-preserved towers and gates of the historic centre are evidence of the city's importance as a trading centre. Many festivities are celebrated in the historic centre with its timber-framed buildings. Obernburg lies along the Franconian "Rotwein-Wanderweg" (red wine hiking route).

Region: Obergermanischer Limes

Roman Period

The historic centre of Obernburg lies above the Roman fort. The fort was surrounded by its vicus; there was a harbour at the Main. Obernburg became famous far beyond its boundaries through the excavation in 2000 of a beneficiarius station, the equivalent of a Roman police station, which was located at the beginning of the modern Römerstraße. The features were well preserved under the mud layers. Examples include the Mediterranean-style courtyard with a fountain and the dedication area with over one hundred altars.

Links

Stadt Obernburg am Main

Rose garden with Obernburg's city emblem, the Almosenturm
1
Inscription stone built into the wall, Römerstraße 41: votive inscription by the Obernburg cohort prefect Lucius Petronius Florentinus from north Africa
2
1 Rose garden with Obernburg's city emblem, the Almosenturm © Photo Eva Kuttner, Linz 2 Inscription stone built into the wall, Römerstraße 41: votive inscription by the Obernburg cohort prefect Lucius Petronius Florentinus from north Africa © Photo Eva Kuttner, Linz

Bavarian State Conservation Office Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung