The medieval Clingenburg gave the town at the right bank of the
Main its name. The historic town lies below the castle with
vineyards and is a tourist attraction at the lower Main.
Trennfurt , with a Roman fort, is located at the left bank of the Main and is first documented in 1253. In 1976, as a result of the communal reforms, Trennfurt became a part of Klingenberg.
Region: Obergermanischer Limes
The numerus fort was located on what is still an unbuilt area west of "Am Bahndamm". It could hold up to 160 Roman soldiers. The wood-cutting troops were stationed here: The natural ressources of the forests covered the huge need for timber for the construction of buildings and ships. The timber was floated down the Main to the legionary fortress in Mainz.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung