The city Miltenberg at the Mainknie, first documented in 1237, lay
at the important trade road from Nürnberg to Frankfurt. The
cultivation of wine grapes, fishing, shipping, and timber and stone
trade formed the area's economic basis. The well-preserved
timber-framed houses are evidence of the wealth of the city that
lay in the centre of the state of Mainz. It was not until the 17th
century that the city began to lose importance.
Today, Miltenberg is a popular tourist attraction of the Main-Franconian region.
Region: Obergermanischer Limes
The area around the Mainknie at Miltenberg became strategically
important around 160 AD. The Upper German Limes left the Main here,
and moved south towards Lorch, at the border to the province
Two forts, the cohort fort Miltenberg-Altstadt and the numerus fort Miltenberg-Bürgstadt, formed the external control points. Between the forts extensive vici have been found at the connecting roads. On the Greinberg two temples worshiped the god Mercury.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung