The fort's location was strategically important: it lay along long-distance roads that led from free Germania through the valleys of the rivers Elsava and Mümling. There were many "villae rusticae" along the Mümling.
At the centre of Obernburg the layout of the modern streets still
follows that of the fort. The original Hauptstaße, now known as
Römerstraße, runs along the antique "via principalis" and the
Badgasse crosses the "porta praetoria". The "principia"
was located at the crossing of the two roads.
The cohort fort, in which at first the "cohors I Germanorum" and then from the 2nd century the "cohors IIII Aquitanorum" were stationed, measured c. 188m (184m) x 160m.
The adjacent "vicus" stretched ring-like roughly 250m to the northeast and 350m to the southwest. The cemeteries were located along the Römerstraße north of the fort and, in the south, at Miltenberger Straße.
Probably built as early as 90 AD, as an earth-and-timber fort, definitely built around 107/110 AD.
Probably an earth-and timber fort; stone fort with simple V-shaped ditch of c. 3ha; "vicus". Cemeteries. Road. Mithraeum. Secondary find site of a Roman stone "Römerstraße 41).
Current State: Built over. Markings on the street in the Altstadt (Badgasse) point out the location of the "porta praetoria". In St. Anna-Kapelle stone monuments can be viewed.
Monument Protection: Yes - UNESCO World Heritage Site, 2005
Several information stations provide information about the fort
along the Roman hiking path of the UNESCO park.
Reconstruction of a Iupiter Column and original crenellation stones at the parking lot of the Römermuseum.
The existence of a fort in Obernburg was presumed as early as 1741,
and the features were found in 1884 during construction work. The
Conrady) determined the extension of the fort. In 2006 an
excavation was carried out in the Runden-Turm-Gasse. This led to a
correction regarding the decumanus front at the northwest.
Later more became known about the civilian settlement (L. Hefner, H. Lüdemann).
Illegal digs had already determined the existence of the cemeteries during Conrady's time.
Christ 1878. ORL A, 3, 6 Nr. 35. Conrady 1903. Hock 1929. Hock 1929a. Kunkel 1953. Schneider 1956. Hefner-Michelbach 1962. Hefner 1967. Baatz-Herrmann 1982, 176, 231, 457-449. Schallmayer 1984, 55-57. Schönberger 1985, 465 D 65. Rosenstock 1986. Sommer 1988, 680. Teichner 1994. Jae 2004. Jae 2006.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung