The numerus fort is located northwest of Wörth am Main, 4.5km from Fort Obernburg and 2.3km from the numerus fort Trennfurt at the south. The Main Limes (older Main boundary) ended here until 150 AD and the Limes continued in the Odenwald. At the south of the fort the Mutterbach flows into the river Main.
fort was encircled by a double V-shaped ditch and a stone wall,
and had four gates. The praetorian front was oriented to the flow
of the Main. The principia
was built with stone. Geophysical examinations identified a
smaller, reduced fort. The fort bath was
in the southeast.
The "vicus" lay alongside the road leading from the fort to the Main. It is assumed that there was a harbour at the Main. The antique Main shore was c. 150m from the fort's praetorian front. In 1985 a well stone was found in the "vicus" to the northwest of the numerus fort.
An stone inscription indicates that there was a training ground for the cavalry.
In the fort (0.8 hectares) about 160 men were stationed. According to inscriptions on stone monuments these were the "numerus Brittonum" and the "exploratores Nemanginenses". It has been determined that the commander was a centurio provincalis of the 22nd legion from Mainz.
Newer finds from the late-Flavian period around 90 AD. The finds date from the mid-2nd century to the early 3rd century.
0.8 ha fort area, double V-shaped ditch, stone defensive walls, four gates; parts of the "principia" of stone; collapsed fort wall. Reduced fort. Fort bath. "Vicus". Geophysical prospection indicates the likely presence of a dock for ships.
Current State: Below unbuilt meadows and farm fields, a few recognisable projections in the ground. No later construction on meadows and fields used for farming, crossed by a railroad.
Monument Protection: Yes - UNESCO World Heritage Site, 2005
Presentation: Signboard on the street at the western entrance to the medieval centre of Wörth.
Research: Excavations conducted by the Reichs-Limeskommission in 1882/1883 and 1887 (W. Conrady) brought the fort to light. The discovery of an undisturbed collapsed wall at the northwest front was sensational. The find provides important information on construction methods for the surrounding walls of the Limes forts. In 2002/2003 geophysical prospections were conducted by the Bavarian State Conservation Office. A second protruding ditch was discovered. The finds of the "vicus" at the northwest of the fort were clarified. The virtual reconstruction of the fort was based on this information.
ORL B Nr. 36. Conrady 1900a. Baatz-Herrmann 1982, 497f. Schallmayer 1984, 59-61. Schönberger 1985, 466 D 71.Reuter 1999. Faßbinder-Lüdemann 2002. Baatz 2000, 179. Limesstraße 2002, 69. Steidl 2008, 97ff. Lüdemann 2008.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung