The fortlet that is also described as "Miltenberg-Ost" lies 2.3km east of the Altstadt fort at the border between Miltenberg and Bürgstadt, 300m from the Main.
In the 88m x 73m large numerus
fort the Numerus exploratorum Seiopensium troop was stationed.
This 120-man unit was under the command of the prefect of the
A connecting road at the foot of the Greinberg ran between the cohort fort "Altstadt Fort Miltenberg" in the east and the numerus fort "Ostkastell" (East Fort). The vicus was situated on this road. A kiln was also found here.
Built around 159/160 AD as an earth-and-timber building; an inscription dates the completion of the stone buildings and gates at between 198 and 209 AD; burnt layers in connection with the Alamanni attacks around 233 AD; afterwards the bath was moved within the fort walls, as were some of the civil buildings. The erection of a wall indicates that the protected fort area was reduced. Medieval finds.
Current State: The fort area is located between Gartenstraße and Bürgstädterstraße and, like the vicus, is covered by modern dwellings.
Monument Protection: Yes - UNESCO World Heritage Site 2005
Research: In 1912 the numerus fort was discovered and its defensive walls were excavated. In 1979 the interior was examined and the administrative building as well as parts of the bath were excavated. In 1998 parts of the western "vicus" and the eastern fort area were excavated. In the process important information came to light regarding changes in the use of the fort area after the Alamanni attacks.
Winterhelt 1929. ORL A, Bd. 4, Strecke 7-9, 58-59. Overbeck 1982. Baatz 1982, 439f. Schönberger 1985, 479 E 60. Rytka 1987. Sommer 1988, 677. Jae 1998. Lebeda 1998. Baatz 2000, 217. Jae 2000. Jütting 2000. Limesstraße 2002 71f. Steidl 2008, 204ff.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung