Southeast of the fort, on the vicus road that ran parallel to the Main. There was a temple to Jupiter Dolichenus very close by.
The younger mithraeum
was built larger than the earlier shrine and at a more secure site.
It measured 13m x 7.8m on the inside. Many altars from the
dedication area of the beneficiary station were used for the
building, which indicates that the station no longer existed.
The broken parts of a cult image, which could be used on both sides, have been pieced together. A total of 67 stone monuments that were displayed in the shrine have been found. In addition to the Mithras decorations, images of Mercury, Hercules, Diana, and Epona, and others have been found. The little images show that other gods were also worshiped here in Severan times.
Built around 210 AD, the mithraeum existed until the fort was destroyed around 260 AD.
Current State: built over
Monument Protection: Yes - UNESCO World Heritage Site, 2005
Research: Discovered 1902
Mattern 2005, 25ff.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung