MAIN LIMES MUSEUMS

World HeritageLimes MuseumsLimes TownsTopicsMapsMediaNewsContact

Altar of the nymph shrine

A sacred spring in Stockstadt

In the year 166 AD renovations were carried out on a sacred spring next to the beneficiarius station in Stockstadt. The shrine was furnished with altars by a beneficiarius. A spring with healing water is depicted - the altar is dedicated to the nymphs with the sobriquet "Apollinares". Apollo was also the god of healing.

The secondary sides of the altar are also decorated: there is a depiction of a tree and a fish, which represents the importance of water in nature. On another side a jug with a sacrificial bowl is depicted

Location
Dedication area of the beneficiarii in Stockstadt, 1899.

Archaeology
CIL XIII 6649. White sandstone

Literature
Mattern 2005, 53f. Nr. 21. Drexel 1910, 67.

Links

Lupa Nr. 7117

Altar from Stockstadt, dedicated to the Nymphae Apollinares, Saalburg Roman Fort
1
Nymph altar from Stockstadt, left side, jug with sacrificial bowl, Saalburg Roman Fort
2
Nymph altar from Stockstadt, right side, leaf and fish, Saalburg Roman Fort
3
1 Altar from Stockstadt, dedicated to the Nymphae Apollinares, Saalburg Roman Fort © Saalburgmuseum 2 Nymph altar from Stockstadt, left side, jug with sacrificial bowl, Saalburg Roman Fort © Saalburgmuseum 3 Nymph altar from Stockstadt, right side, leaf and fish, Saalburg Roman Fort © Saalburgmuseum

Bavarian State Conservation Office Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung