As early as 1875 the base and part of a column were discovered.
They had been used as backfill below the medieval church. In the
1975 excavation the surprising find was made of a similar,
well-preserved column that had collapsed into the V-shaped ditch in
front of the porta principalis dextra.
The columns, over 2m high, were part of a victory monument. The text at the shaft is from Prefect C. Sempronius Martialis and dedicated to Victoria, goddess of victory. The column was probably crowned by a statue of the goddess.
Fort Miltenberg-Altstadt, near the western gate, excavation 1975 (B. Beckmann).
Column with a base of red sandstone. Height 2.32m, diameter 0.50m. Dating: between 231 and 234 AD.
CSIR II, 13, Nr. 210 und 211. Beckmann 2004, 195f.
Bavarian State Conservation Office – Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen & Bavarian State Archaeological Collection with the support of the Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung